Forterra is the interim owner through Feb 10, 2019 for the back nine and May 31, 2019 for the front nine. Upon raising the funds for acquisition, the loan will be paid and the the property ownership will be transferred to the City of Bothell and King County.
Wayne Public Golf Course was designed by Al Smith and opened in 1931. In 1933 during the great depression the Anderson family bought the front nine of Wayne Public Golf Course from the Blyth family. “Gordy” Richards (formally head golf professional at Broadmoor GC, Tacoma CC, and the original head golf professional at Overlake GCC) took over operations and bought the front nine in 1950. In 1961 Dave Richards took over the lease and operated until 1996 and then passed the baton to “Gordy” Richards’ grandson, Steve Richards, who operates the course today.
According to a letter from Joshua Freed, David Richards notified the City on November 27, 2013, that the back nine would be put up for sale. Council discussed this matter and no action was taken. On May 30, 2014, a development group acquired the right to purchase the back nine.
After much community participation, and months of negotiations. Forterra secured the entirety of the Wayne Golf Course on May 31, 2016, closing the 50-acre front nine, having already purchased the 39-acre back nine on February 10, 2016, from the aforementioned development group.
The golf course will continue to operate during Forterra’s interim ownership. Upon raising the funds for acquisition, the loan will be paid and the property ownership will be transferred to the City of Bothell and King County.